On one of the most traveled weekends of the year, Philadelphia played host to ten teams from around the country as well as international guests, the New Zealand Police Rugby League.
Blue skies and warm conditions delighted a small but vocal crowd who were treated to a wonderful display of 9’s rugby league that delivered plenty of big hits along with a smorgasbord of superb tries and tremendous athleticism.
12 teams spread over 4 groups and 16 games of Rugby League presented the faithful fans with a final matchup between the New Zealand Police Rugby League (Fencibles) and the New Haven Warriors. In the end the Fencibles fitness level proved to be the difference as they switched gears overcoming an exhausted Warriors team by 22-0.
USA Rugby League Chairman Peter Illfield commented “Today was a great opportunity for our clubs to come together & get to know each other before embarking on our inaugural home & away season.” He added “Our intention is to make this an annual event and we learned so much to make this an even better event for next year’s tournament.”
USARL 9′s Trophies are as follows:
- New Zealand Police Rugby League winning the Cup Final 22-0
- Philadelphia Fight beating DC Slayers for the Trophy Final 22-0
- NJ Turnpike Titans beating West Chester University for the Bowl Final 20-16
- Ryan McGough (USARL CEO) who worked nonstop to make this a first class
- The Fight Vixens Dance Team for their tireless efforts throughout the day
- The New Zealand Police Rugby League for attending and treating the Philadelphia fans to the HAKA
- 8 East Bar for the BBQ throughout and post event party
- Daniel Andruczyk from League International Scores for traveling cross country and covering the tournament
- Donnie and Mary Morrison, Ray Nolan, Marvin Dangerfield, and Wayne Wright for Photography and Videography
- Alan Chmielewski, Mik Shammas and all the match officials
- David Bowe for his colorful commentary throughout the day
- The Philadelphia fans that came out on a busy holiday weekend to support the Tournament